Wednesday, April 8, 2020

God is With Us - Poem by Mary Stevenson





God is there for us during these times of hardship and confusion. He is there for protection when we are fearful, knowledge when we need guidance, and love and companionship when we are lonely.

Words in the Bible offers comfort and companionship to me, as I immerse myself into the stories of its heroines, heroes, and villains, causing me to forget about my loneliness. His wonderful Holy Spirit gives me comfort and wise directions for my life, and now new dreams when the old ones I treasured were gone.

One of my favorite poems, I would like to share with you, reminds me of his precious love. Sent to me, many years ago, I am not sure who forwarded it to me. Today, still, I remember it and find it reassuring.  

Footprints in the Sand


        One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
             Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
                  In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
                       Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
                           other times there were one set of footprints.

                                  This bothered me because I noticed
                                that during the low periods of my life,
                             when I was suffering from
                         anguish, sorrow or defeat,
                     I could see only one set of footprints.

          So I said to the Lord,
      "You promised me Lord,
         that if I followed you,
             you would walk with me always.
                   But I have noticed that during
                          the most trying periods of my life
                                 there have only been one
                                       set of footprints in the sand.
                                           Why, when I needed you most,
                                          you have not been there for me?"

                                 The Lord replied,
                          "The times when you have
                  seen only one set of footprints,
          is when I carried you."
                                                   Mary Stevenson


No comments:

Post a Comment